Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 11 Evaluating The Internet of Technology on Teaching and Learning

Lead, Don't Lecture was an amazing article that made me have a different perspective in the way I teach. My school is a Reading First School. We pretty much do lectures of 15 to 20 min. then the students work on their own while the teacher works with a small group according to their needs. After reading this article, I realized that I can have students working in teams instead of on their own. I also thought about a way that I can use the three computers in my classroom to integrate technology.
After reading the article Transforming Learning with Technology, I realized that I need to incorporate more technology in my classroom. I use technology everyday but I am the one that utilizes the technology in the classroom. I would like my students to do more project-based learning using technology. Even though the article was about High School students utilizing technology I believe that first graders can use technology as well. The only thing is that I have to do more planning and I will need to give my students more help and more time to finish their project. I am very excited now. I can't wait to begin the new school year!

How Do Teachers Become Tech Wizards?
This article really inspired me because most of the characteristics that the author mentioned I possess. I am always trying to learn new things. I am open to new ways and new ideas. I also like to figure things out on my own. While taking the classes EDT 545 and 546, many people commented that I was too to my self and that I rarely asked for help. I guess I just don't like to ask for everything. I like to figure things out on my own because that is the way I learn. I learn when I do it.
The only thing that I need to work more on is determination. I am a goal getter don't get me wrong but sometimes, when things get rough and don't go the way I expected them I tend to just let it go. Which has been proven not to be the best thing.

1 to 1 Supports Transformation of Maine Classrooms.
Maine schools got a wonderful grant. Every student and teacher received an i-book. The process of getting this grant was very extensive but that was not all. After getting the laptops the real work started. Teachers and administrators were required to commit to an ongoing professional development to make the best use of their technology tools. This was a huge time commitment for teachers and administrators but it was worth it because it was confirmed that the laptops helped them better individualize their curriculum to fit their students' needs.
Teachers also mentioned that students are more actively involved in learning and the quality of their work has improved. Even parents commented that their students that never did homework before now they stayed after school to finish assignments.

I think this type of grants are very good for schools to get, the only thing I'm concern about is that some teachers might not be willing to go the extra mile required to incorporate technology in the classroom. What will the administration do in this case?

No comments: