Monday, June 9, 2008

Day 8 Equity Issues

Caught in the Digital Divide was a very interesting article. Being Hispanic myself and working in a low socioeconomic school, the contents of the article didn't surprise me at all. Last school year I had 25 students and only two had a computer at home and out of those two just one had access to the internet. Even so, these students have access to computer technology through the school and the public library, which brings me to the second article Recent Reports on the Digital Divide. According to an informal survey I conducted in the classroom, all of my students had an account at the public library and all of them at one time or another had used the computers there. It is true what the article says about schools and public libraries making a big impact closing the Digital Divide. The article also mentions that in 2002 the Department of Commerce conducted a survey about computer and internet in the United States. The report showed that there had been growth in the use of technology and that Latinos are even acquiring more computers and using the internet more than Whites. This reminds me of something that I know about Latinos or Hispanic. We are all about entertainment. We like to buy the newest technology like T.Vs and DVDs, furthermore if computers and internet are the "new thing" we don't want to be left out.

3 comments:

Lydia Horstman said...

As a Latina myself, I understand. We don't want to be left out. Somtimes I think it is their priority to have the "newest thing" before buying a new pair of shoes. I don't think we are behind. My entire teaching career I've worked in low SES schools. Somehow those kids manage to get the latest technology. They might not all have access to computers at home, but they know where one is they can use. If that is not true for some, it is our job to show them these resources and educate them.

Mrs. McFeely said...

Both of your comments come back to attitude. Those who find a way to get on the computer do so because the Web is of value to them. If we can instill this value in all of our students, we can boost technology use in the next generation.

Mr. Colcord's Blog said...

It is really sad that so many students do not have access to a simple desktop computer with an internet connection. However, I work in a title 1 school district and the administration is dedicated to the successful integration of technology in all classrooms. However, we recently took a big budget hit with the rising costs of food and gas. :(