Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 5 Tehcnology Transforming Education

On the Big Ideas Better Schools: Ten Ways to Improve Education I loved the video that shows how students work on a Project- based learning. As the article says the students were energized, focused, and challenged. The technology tools were facilitating the learning. I don't know if it was the administrators idea or the teacher's but the teachers were working together integrating the same project. The math, the social studies and the language arts teachers were all working on the same project but doing different things according to their subject.
I would love for that to happen in my school. The problem is that we are too individualists. At my school every year we have a "Learning Fair" towards the end of the school year. We have to come up with a project-based learning where students work in groups to answer the big question (we start we the abstract) The only difference is that we are not too far advanced in using technology yet. It is hard for students to get into the computer lab and we just have three video cameras and four digital cameras.

3 comments:

Mr. Colcord's Blog said...

I thought that the video was amazing too. I never knew that we as teachers could teach our students a lesson that not only taught math, but that also taught music, science, and social studies at the same time. I was really impressed with this information and I can't wait to learn more and try it myself. It's information like this that can really make me a better teacher. :)

Lydia Horstman said...

I like the idea of your project fair. I would work closely with the Science and Social Studies teachers to integrate our content. It is hard to do and we did not do it often. If given the time and some training we could do great things. My wish was to observe teachers using project based learning to get ideas and hopefuly take some of those ideas to use in my classroom. With great teachers on your team and administration support we could do great things for our kids.

Mrs. McFeely said...

I love the idea of the Learning Fair. We all do some type of Project Based Learning at our school. However, we don't always coordinate so that projects are done at the same time. Since we are alway looking for ways to engage parents, this seems ideal.